The week of September 19 was hectic. I was making traveling arrangements for the Mayor to fly to Washington, DC. It’s a process of days! Getting paper work approved and making sure we have documentation stating that the trip is for business purposes. Finally, every thing set and done Mayor departed to Washington, D.C. on September 26, 2011 for several meetings. The main objective of this trip is to meet with the Secretary of Energy Steven Chu to discuss the City’s success with Solar Phoenix and Energize Phoenix. The Mayor was joined by executives from National Bank of Arizona, Arizona Public Service and Salt River Project. The launch of Solar Phoenix II was discussed as well as how the Department of Energy can potentially partner with the City of Phoenix on this program.
While in Washington, D.C. the Mayor also met with Cecilia Munoz, director of Intergovernmental Affairs for the White House, and David Agnew, Deputy Director of Intergovernmental Affairs for the White House, and staff from Senate and House Representatives.
Mayor was gone for 3 days on this trip which means we had more than enough time to get caught up with work. Our administration consists of 12 members and when we started it was an administration of approximately 23. We do more with less. So, it’s hard to get things done when we have the Mayor running 100 mph in the office. It may sound kind of cruel and funny to say we get more done when he’s gone. ;-)
Mayor Gordon has been to Washington, DC numerous of times for several different reasons, but for some reason his recent trip has gotten me into a traveling mood. So, I booked a vacation for Washington, DC this December. I can not wait!!
I can not imagine what it must be like to juggle a schedule like the one the Mayor has. How does he keep the topics of his meetings straight inside his head? I guess that is why he has his staff to support him. Washington, D.C. in December? That's a great time of the year to visit, no crowds, a chill in the air and the holiday spirit on display everywhere. Enjoy!
ReplyDeleteI love D.C. in December! I know you will have a great time. I have really been enjoying your blog and seeing the administrative side of the mayor's office. Great post!
ReplyDeleteIt will be my first time in D.C. I hope to have a great experience. =)
ReplyDelete