In the Mayor's Office I have many duties and one of them is being the Arts & Culture Liaison. In this role I represent our office when it comes to meeting with Arts & Culture organizations or commissions. For example, recently we’ve been meeting with the Arts & Culture Commission in regards to having a museum/art gallery at Phoenix City Hall. The museum/gallery will have art pieces from 1916 to present. Money is being raised from donations and we hope to have this project completed by December 2011.
Other meetings include: meeting with the founder of Phoenix Opera, the director of the Phoenix Art Museum, and the Phoenix Symphony. Most of the time the objective of our meetings is to discuss how the City can get more involved with helping these organizations have more of an active environment and even maybe help them financially.
Just recently Mayor Gordon met with Jim Ward, the new President & CEO of The Phoenix Symphony. The Mayor discussed how the City can continue to support the symphony.
Before the Mayor walked into the meeting I had a one-on-one with Mr. Ward and we had a chance to introduce ourselves a little. I told him that ironically I’ve never had the pleasure of enjoying a symphony concert. He said, “well I can take care of that!”. I was able to experience my first concert this past Saturday, September 17, 2011. I saw Beethoven: Symphony No. 9. It was an amazing experience. The director Michael Christie did an amazing job conducting the orchestra.
Looking forward to experience an opera show next!
Wow! I would love to attend a symphony. Even more so an opera. Your job lends itself to endless benefits based upon the relationships of those with power! Jealous!
ReplyDeleteHi Loren! It is pretty neat to get to enjoy these things. It's common to hear that based upon the people we know we get priority but, that's not always the case. I believe that sometimes it's based upon how you personally perceive yourself. First impressions are key to great doors.
ReplyDeleteIts really cool that you got to attend the symphony. Besides hard work, your internship even comes with some perks! Having a museum/art gallery inside of City Hall is a great way to get the public into the building. Its a such a unique structure its unfortunate that more citizens don't visit City Hall and the memorials outside.
ReplyDelete