In the beginning of Mayor Gordon's first term, it was a tradition to make an Annual Christmas Party. In 2007, we replace the traditional Christmas Party with adopting a head-start (preschool) class from the Wilson School and deliver presents. We've been doing this now for four years with 2011 being the fifth and last one for Mayor Gordon. I was project manager of this project last year, and I'm honored with the title this year again.
The headstart teacher has the little 4-5 year old kids writing to Santa and making their wish list. We received their little wish lists this week and reading the letters was really heartwarming. The student's from these headstart classes come from low income families. Some students are so humble and innocent that they even ask for presents for their parents and siblings instead of asking for themselves.
My job is to collect donations from our staff and coordinate the shopping, wrapping and delivery date. My coworkers call me "The Office Elf". I'm super exited to get this project moving. Our delivery date and Holiday Celebration is December 22. I've collected the money and now is time for one of my favorite parts of this project; the shopping and wrapping.
My most favorite part of this project is seeing their little faces light up with joy when they receive their presents. I can't wait to see them rip through that wrapping paper with joy!
Merry Christmas office elf! I think it is so important that disadvantaged children know that there are people, other than their immediate family, that care about them. My wife, sons and I adopt a family every year and we hope in some small way we make a difference in some child's life. Be proud of the great work that you are doing! I only wished more people and organizations would think of the less fortunate during this time of year. Merry Christmas Cindy!
ReplyDeleteThat sounds incredibly fun and rewarding. What an interesting idea to do away with a Christmas party and give gifts instead. It also seems like a lot of fun that you get to spearhead the process. Lucky you..I must admit, I’m jealous lol!
ReplyDeleteWhat a great idea, put the money used for a traditional party to better use. I've noticed more businesses are doing that sort of thing, at least from what the media says. Why not? It makes people on both sides feel better and enjoy the spirit of the season.
ReplyDeleteThat is so great that you got to head such a rewarding program. i love that they scraped the office party and decided to help needy kids. Every christmas I try to buy a few gifts for kids who may not be able to have presents on christmas. It's so wonderful to read posts like this. Keep up the good work.
ReplyDelete